Monday, October 23, 2006

Episode 3 - Folkways: An American Canon

In this episode, Moses Asch was mentioned quite a bit at the beginning. One of his quotes that I found to be meaningful was one that was said while he was talking about true music.

He said, "If it's true of the time, people will need this as a reference book."

I think this is a very important quote. It tells us that if a song is truly good that means that it will directly reflect the time period. It has to be meaningful to last through the times. That also relates directly to our class. We wouldn't have a roots music class if it wasn't for this exact type of music; meaningful and reflective of the times.

This episode mentioned the fact that you should be open to music but at the same time know what you want. Moses Asch would play music and if it was "unworthy" would turn it off within 30 seconds.

In this episode, there was a poem that was read that was written by Moses Asch's favorite poet. The poem was called "The Women Gather." One of the lines in this poem read,

"Most of us love because we have a need to love not because we find someone deserving."

I thought this was ridiculous and I don't think I need to explain myself. I think that everyone can figure out why.

Well overall I was pretty bored with this episode. Sorry

No comments: