Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Discussion Summary

Recently in class there hasn't been too much time for discussion because of all the presentations that have been going on. So I will talk about those a bit.

So far I have been extremely impressed with the presentations. Ashley, Jesh, and Kelsey all cooked for the class and it was all amazing. I am a fairly picky eater but everything that they cooked was absolutely delicious. Not only did they all cook for us, but they also had powerpoint presentations to go along with it. They explained what they cooked and its significance to roots music. It was clear that they put a lot of time into their presentations.

Another presentation was based on the hard lives of hobos. Machelle sang a very creative song to go along with her fascinating presentation. Her presentation was incredibly interesting. I didn't know a lot of the information that was presented. It was also really cool how she read from her grandpa's memoirs.

The other presentation was by Cassandra. She performed sign language to go along with a song associated with roots music. That was amazing to watch. She definately kept my attention throughout her whole presentation. After the song she discussed different deaf musicians that are performing around the world today. It was really interesting and a very creative choice.

So far each performance choice has been very unique and well thought out. I have been so impressed with each performance. Everyone who has gone has definately raised the bar for the rest of us. Great job!

1 comment:

Liz Sorensen said...

So here is an extension of my discussion summary:

I thought that Jesh's and Kelsey's presentation was relevant to what we have been talking about in class and somewhat informative. I guess I didn't really get much out of it besides the ingredients of the food they made and where it was normally served. It tasted good though.

Ashley's presentation was somewhat random I thought. I had trouble figuring out how funeral processions had anything to do with the material we had been talking about and reading in class. It tasted good but more connections could have improved the performance and helped tie together class and performance.

Cassandra's sign language presentation was fun to watch and cool because I really haven't seen a whole lot of people use sign language. Yes, she performed it to one of the songs from class but didn't tie together the idea of roots music and sign language. It was more of a presentation on current deaf musicians and just a timeline of people we haven't studied.

When we were first introduced to this performance project, the impression I got from it was that pretty much anything was ok as long as it was creative and had a small connection to the class. I am wondering if perhaps the other students in the class were under the same impression and thought that the connections they had made would be enough. Maybe Cassandra was like me and thought that just because she was "performing" something to a roots music song it would be ok.

I put a lot of time and effort into my performace and into the posts I made on my blog. I am a quiet person in class so I thought that I would put forth more of an effort into the other aspects of this class and hoped that it would give me a decent grade. I guess I was wrong. I centered my performance around art and definately connected it to the class. I did a lot of research and made sure I was prepared to answer questions about Skip James. I also worked hard to make my collage meaningful. I guess I just didn't expect to get a B minus for all of that work. But I guess that's life